Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The wide open road ...and rocks ...and snow.




Leaving Roswell, I got to finally got to appreciate the wide open space in New Mexico (minus the fog). The sun had come out and the skies were clear. I opened the sunroof and down went the windows. "Now this is what I'm talkin' about!" I was completely amazed by the masive amount of space and the mountains and rock formations in the distance.



I thought to myself, I wouldn't mind having a ranch out here someday. I'd have to work it myself, so I wouldn't get bored. And I'd need a runway so I don't have to drive in. It might also be nice to build a mock ghost/old west town with a saloon, stables, barber shop and tannery. Kinda like Ted Nuget's home. No harm is wishing and setting goals right?


I made it to Albuquerque in fairly good time, and back on I40/US66 I went. What I wasn't expecting was the blizzard/Snow Storm sweeping across Arizona and New Mexico. I was also unaware of how mountainous the upper part of Arizona is. My poor car is being a real trooper and I owe her a detail and wash when we get to California. What I do appreciate about Arizona is their ability to name roads. Whatever is on that road is the name of that road. Wanna get to Walnut Canyon? Take Walnut Canyon Road. Wanna see Rock Springs? Take Rock Springs Road. Then I start to see signs for Meteor Crater Road. SOLD! I don't care if it is 10pm. The moon is bright and I can see for miles in the dark right now. I'm taking the exit! About six miles from I-40, there is a gigantic hill that leads up to a closed gate for the Crater. Damnit! I was hoping I could see the natural beauty without having to pay. I turned around quickly when the super bright motion-detecting spotlight shone on me. Maybe tomorrow.


I made it to Flagstaff and there are gorgeous mountains all around. There's about an inch or two of snow here, but I think that's normal for a 7000 foot elevation. I'll be off to the grand canyon tomorrow and maybe that crater. Check it out for yourself... http://www.meteorcrater.com/

Location:Historic U.S. 66,Flagstaff,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment