Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gnomon School of Visual Effects

After visiting The Art Institute of California last week for preliminary talks and to finally meet the people I have been talking to for the last 8 months, I wasn't too impressed. The school hasn't been allowing me to choose the classes that I'd like to take in order to learn the skills necessary to get freelance work in LA immediately. They also screwed up my financial aide application and I had to reapply in order to even attend next week. Good thing I stopped by. The people running the show over there have dropped the ball on more than one occasion. Personally, if the student's standards coming into the school aren't being met, there's a bit of a problem with the school. Never the less, I start classes next Wednesday the 13th.

After visiting my school, I took it upon myself to investigate other visual effects schools in my area. I heard nothing but great things about Gnomon. (Pronounced "gnome-on") I was looking at their site yesterday and saw there was an open house scheduled for today at 2pm. I immediately signed up. http://www.gnomonschool.com/

I just got back from the open house with no doubt in my mind that this is where I need to be. The school is very well connected in the entertainment and gaming industry. These are my people! The Ai school also teaches culinary, interior design, fashion and industrial design. The Gnomon school is full of people who just work in visual effects so my networking is amplified by the students and instructors available to me there. The school is also well respected in the film industry. In addition to having a studio on site that is used by production companies, the instructors all work on active film/gaming/TV projects and utilize graduates and current students for work. This is a place I can truly shine and be appreciated for the work I'm capable of. One more plus!!! It's less expensive than my current school.



It's too late for me to apply for this semester, but they start a new one in April. Right around the same time my first semester with Ai will end. The school accepts international applicants and only 24 new students each term. Anywhere from 150-300 people apply each term, so it's a little hard to get into. Before I left, I scheduled an interview for January 19th. I've been told the acceptance is based on potential and self-motivation and I don't feel I'm lacking on either.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment